PORTAL USER GUIDE
The Sequence Numbers tool creates a new table with a new column, with a linear sequence of integers starting at 1 up to n, where n is the number of rows/observations/areas within the dataset.
To demonstrate the use of Sequence Numbers we will add a series of numbers in order of LGA code to a dataset from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
- Select Australia as your area.
- Select ABS – Data by Region – Economy & Industry (LGA) 2011-2018 as your dataset, selecting all variables, and with the filter Year set to 2016.
Once you have selected these, open the Sequence Number parameter input window (Tools → Data Processing → Sequence Numbers) and enter the following parameters:
- Dataset Input: Select the dataset that you would like to run the tool on. Select ABS – Data by Region – Economy & Industry (LGA) 2011-2018.
- Variable to Sort By: Select the variable in the dataset that you want the numbers to be ordered against. Select LGA Code.
- New Column Name: Type the name of the new column that should be appended to the current dataset with the sequence numbers. Make sure to not include spaces or special characters other than underscores to your column name, and make sure not to start it with a number. Type Seq_LGA.
Once you have entered your parameters, click Run Tool.
A popup dialogue box will show with the name of your new dataset. Click the Display Output button to open up the table, your new column, Seq_LGA, will appear on the far right in corresponding order with the LGA Code column.