PORTAL USER GUIDE
Reshape Table Long-to-Wide
The Reshape Table Long-to-Wide tool allows you to transform spatial data tables which are of long-format into wide-format. Wide-format tables represent one subject of data per row with many columns representing, for example one variable over many columns. Long-format tables contain multiple rows of the same subject with varying information.
If you require the preservation of spatial information please use the Reshape Table Long-to-Wide (Spatial) tool instead.
The table we will be working on:
|1||2015-01-04T13:00:00.000+0000||Angaston Power Station||85.259999|
|2||2015-01-05T13:00:00.000+0000||Angaston Power Station||565.340002|
|3||2015-01-04T13:00:00.000+0000||Bogong / Mckay Power Station||21.675|
|4||2015-01-05T13:00:00.000+0000||Bogong / Mckay Power Station||7016.8399|
You can download a CSV copy of this table here.
First, we begin by importing the CSV into the AURIN Portal – To do this:
- Click Import in the Data sidebar.
- Browse to the location of your local copy of the CSV file and input the following variables:
- Title: Name of your dataset.
- Abstract: Description of your dataset.
- Aggregation Level: The aggregation level of the geometry of your dataset, in this case, this should be set to Non Spatial.
- Key: The primary key of the dataset, this can be any column you view as containing the values which identify each row, select ogc_fid.
- Click Add & Display.
Once you have added the datasets, you are ready to use the Reshape Table Long-to-Wide tool. Follow on to learn about the input options.
- Dataset Input: This is the dataset that contains the columns you would like to include in the calculation. Select the one we imported.
- Identifier Column: This represents the variable that the dataset should be grouped by. In this instance. Select station_name.
- Subgroup Column: This represents the variable that provides new data. In this instance. Select timestamp.