AURIN API AND QGIS
Accessing the AURIN API via QGIS
QGIS is a free and open Desktop GIS. To connect to the AURIN API data via QGIS, please follow these steps
- In your QGIS session, go to Layer → Add Layer → Add WFS Layer drop-down menu
- Click on the New button, and create a new connection naming it something such as AURIN API, and entering the following url when prompted
- Enter your credentials (Apply at the AURIN API Signup page if you don’t have credentials yet) and Click OK. Ensure that 1.0 is selected for the WFS Version.
- Click Connect
- Once connected you can see a list of available datasets. Optionally, add a filter value to search the title for a topic of interest. Click on the dataset you wish to display. In this example, we will select South Australia Road Crash Statistics 1/1/2011 – 31/12/2015 and click Add, then Close.
- Your data should now appear in your QGIS session. You can change the symbology of the dataset, perform further analysis, or export it to ESRI shapefile or GeoJSON format for editing in other tools or applications
Tips for Timeout Issues
When making AURIN API requests within QGIS, the requests can occasionally timeout causing an error. You can often resolve this issue by increasing the timeout threshold for network connections in QGIS. This can be done by:
- Visiting the Options within the QGIS Settings tab.
- Within the Network options change the Timeout for network requests (ms) from 60000 (1 minute in milliseconds) to a larger number, we recommend 180000.