An Australian consortium organised by AURIN attended meetings in Dublin, London and Cambridge from March to April 2014 to further the agenda of the outcomes from the 3rd EU-Australia Workshop on Research Infrastructure.
The Australian delegation included:
- Dr Greg Foliente – Senior Principal Scientist, Urban Systems Program, CSIRO
- Prof Pascale Perez – Research Director – SMART Infrastructure Facility, University of Wollongong
- Dr Glenn Geers – Technology Director, Infrastructure Transport & Logistics, NICTA
- Dr Melanie Davenport – Director of Community Indicators Victoria, McCaughey
- VicHealth Centre for Community Wellbeing, The University of Melbourne
- Dr Lisel O’Dwyer – Researcher, University of Adelaide
- A/Prof Chris Pettit – Strategic Implementation Co-ordinator, AURIN, The University of Melbourne
Key overseas participants included:
- Prof Michael Batty Chair – CASA Board, University College London
- Dr Andrew Hudson Smith – Director of CASA, University College London
- Dr Massimo Craglia – INSPIRE
- Dr Suchith Anand – Coordinator of ICA-OS GeoLabs Initiative.
- Prof. Piyushimita (Vonu) Thakuriah – Halcrow Chair of Transport and Director of Urban Big Data Centre – University of Glasgow
Participants at the RDA Urban Quality of Life Indicators BoF
In March, The Australian delegation attended the 3rd Plenary of the Research Data Alliance. A Birds of a Feather (BoF) session was organised on the theme of Urban Quality of Life (QoL) Indicators. The BoF generated a lot of stimulating discussion; the next step will be to set up an RDA working group on Urban QoL to pursue an a interoperability testbed based on a minimal agreed set of QoL indicators that will involve Australian, European, and North American participants.
The Australian delegation met with Prof Mike Batty and Dr Andrew Hudson Smith from the Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis (CASA), University of College London to discuss opportunities to facilitate knowledge transfer between cities in Europe and Australia. The final leg saw Greg Foliente, Pascale Perez, Glenn Geers and Chris Pettit participate in the Applied Urban Modelling Conference at Cambridge University.